Monday, October 19, 2009

Vegan Venus #8/I will get through this.

Catchup time. Been a crazy full week with litereally no time to blog, but I'm determined to have 31 entries by the end of this month. So what better way to get back in the game other than a recipe?

I've been experimenting lately with recipes that take a bit of time, 'slow' food always tastes better and it's good to experience the zen of gently stirring a pot over the course of an hour or so. You don't have time? Neither do I. But find some, and make yourself this great soup found here. Use any mushrooms you like, I used baby bellas and chicken of the woods (a local delicacy).

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

Ingredients

  • 2 c Mushrooms (sliced)

  • 2 c Onions (diced)

  • 4 tbl vegan butter

  • 1/4 c White Wine

  • 8 c Water or Vegetable Broth

  • 1/4 c Pearl Barley

  • 2 tsp Salt

  • 1/4 tsp Black Pepper

  • 1 tsp Dried Paprika

  • 1 tsp Dried Dill Weed-I used fresh

  • 1 tbl Dried Parsley-I used fresh

  • 2 tbl Flour

  • 3/4 c non dairy milk-I used almond

  • 1 tbl Lemon or Lime Juice

  • vegan sour cream

Directions

  1. In a large soup pan, sauté the onions and mushrooms in the vegan butter until the onions are brown.

  2. Add the white wine, and boil for 2-4 minutes.

  3. Add water (or broth), pearl barley, and salt, and simmer for 15 minutes.

  4. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk and flour together until smooth, and slowly pour the mixture into the soup while stirring.

  5. Add the pepper, paprika, dill weed, parsley, and lemon (or lime) juice, and simmer 45 minutes.

  6. Serve into bowls and top with one spoonful of sour cream.

I also topped with some of the fresh herbs! Worth the time! Quite a satisfying dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment